- Join a rocketship. This is a unique opportunity to join a rapidly scaling business that is changing the way hourly labor works and capturing a $2 trillion dollar opportunity in the US alone.
- Be an owner. Join a team that is challenging and supporting one another to build a great business, scale this business as their own, and instill choice and flexibility for workers in every market we touch.
- Captain your career path. Live, work, and breathe in an environment with limitless opportunities for growth, both professionally and personally.
- Become a world class executor. We believe that #ExecutionIsBinary, and are dedicated to helping you master that skill for life here and beyond.
- Own a vertical pillar or horizontal function within our Product & Engineering team.
- Drive the technical vision, influence product strategy, and conduct regular technical reviews.
- Design, architect, and build highly-performant and reliable technical features, tools, and services using Node.js, React/React Native, Mongo, Python, GCP.
- Lead complex technical projects from ideation and design through production and deployment.
- Serve as a mentor for junior engineers and participate in scaling our team
- We're actively hiring full stack, front-end, and back-end developers across all levels (SWE, Senior, Staff, Principal).
- You have 2+ years of software engineering experience.
- You enjoy working cross functionally with leadership, PMs, designers, and other engineers to build products across a modern tech stack (MERN) to solve complex problems.
- You are eager to work in a dynamic and fast-paced early stage startup, and have an ability to roll up your sleeves to #GetShiftDone.
New York, NY - United States of America
At Shiftsmart, we're building the future of labor. Our platform powers the modern workforce with over 1.5M workers in 57+ countries, and customers that include Google, Deloitte, Circle K, and Facebook. We've grown our business 2-3x each year since we started, with over 2M shifts worked and over $100M in wages paid to workers. We empower hourly workers to find more work, increase their earnings, and control their own schedules, while also enabling employers to increase fulfillment, reduce turnover, and improve quality.
We're transforming the labor industry Who you are
The Engineering Team enables Shiftsmart to anticipate and creatively solve problems across multiple functions with solutions that have a lasting impact for both our customers (employers) and our users (workers). Our mission is simple: To build the world's leading platform for hourly workers and enterprises enabling flexibility, choice, and upward social mobility.
What you'll do:
Who you are
At Shiftsmart, we're on a mission to build the world's leading platform for hourly workers and enterprises enabling flexibility, choice, and upward social mobility. Our platform powers the modern worker with over 1.5M+ workers in 57+ countries working with customers such as Circle K, Google, Deloitte, and Facebook. We've grown our business 2-3x each year since we started and paid over $100M in wages to workers. We've raised $120m from top tier investors like D1 Capital & Imaginary Ventures, and Fast Company ranked us #21 on their 2021 Top 50 Most Innovative Companies list. We're working to improve the quality of life for our workers one shift at a time. If you're ready to do the best work of your life, come join our rocketship.
Operating Principles @ Shiftsmart
See Leadership Principles @ Amazon (article)
Execution Is Binary
We #GetShiftDone. We take immense pride in both the quality of our work and our relentless determination to deliver on our commitments. If we say we are going to do something, we do it.
We own the outcome with an unstoppable mindset through the finish line and are impatient to move the ball forward. This means we work really hard, execute with urgency, and ruthlessly challenge timelines for anything important. As a result, we do not defer responsibility to other teams or individuals. Instead, we take the problem as far as we can and only when needed ask others for help.
Each time a crisis or opportunity emerges we take the hill as one team, because we are allergic to the words "it can't be done".
Missionaries, Not Mercenaries
We before me. We believe in our mission to build a better world for workers. We understand why our work matters and take seriously how it impacts our customers and our partners. This belief permeates everything we do from the strategic to the mundane.
We are energetic, ambitious, and want to win. We constantly raise the standards for ourselves and everyone around us. We show up for our customers, our partners, and most importantly our teammates, and make every effort to build lasting relationships with each of them.
We do not measure success based on our titles or the size of our empires. This also means we put the needs of the business before the details of our job descriptions. Rather than fight for a bigger piece of the pie, we fight to grow the entire thing and recognize this is how to grow our careers too.
Inputs > Outcomes
We work really hard. Fundamentally changing how labor works is not easy. It often requires long days, late nights, and weekends to deliver on our commitments. We lean into this challenge.
We focus on the process. We think in terms of value chains and appreciate that a bad process with a good outcome is simply dumb luck.
We lead with data. We use facts, not fiction, to build narratives and make decisions. To do this we prepare written memos in advance and resist the urge to engage in endless water cooler what ifs, because we value the time and attention of our teammates.
We hire and develop the best. When we decide to hire a new team member, we do so because we believe they will increase the talent density on our team. We view ourselves as leverage maximizers rather than inconvenience reducers and strive to increase the output of everyone we interact with.
Honesty Over Harmony
We share the truth even when it is painful. We do not, however, share the truth callously to hurt people's feelings or make them look bad. We also assume positive intent. If someone is not delivering in a way that we need, we ask them and tell them before assuming the worst.
We embrace mutual feedback. As people leaders we care more about our team's growth and success than how much others like us. As individuals we seek, accept, and apply feedback. We do not give or take feedback personally because we understand it enables us to learn and grow.
We tell the truth to ourselves. We reject a pollyannaish view of our world. Instead if something isn't going well that we are responsible for, we call it out. And when someone calls out their own truth that may be less optimal, we don't punish them for it.
We have the meeting in the meeting. If something is broken or we disagree, we call it out and say something in the moment even if it feels uncomfortable to do so. This means that if something is broken, we do not just accept it and complain later.
Invent & Iterate
We are inventors @ heart. We categorically reject the phrase "that is how it's always been done", and constantly discover new and better ways to do more with less. This means we are resourceful and often do things that don't scale, only to create ways to scale them later. We're builders.
We think BIG. At every level of the company, we embrace big, hairy, audacious, and transformative goals. We fear lack of progress and incremental thinking more than failing to deliver or falling short of an audacious goal. We believe courage means to try without fear and learn without ego.
We do not let perfect get in the way of better. When faced with the choice we prioritize delivering something, even if imperfect, over endless debate and alignment. We embrace good mistakes.
Equal opportunity employer
Shiftsmart is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.